Second Call for Papers
Flooded Stone Age – Towards an Overview of Submerged Settlements and Landscapes on the Continental Shelf
EAA Annual meeting, Helsinki 29 august- 1 September 2012
The aim of this session is to bring together ideas and information to develop a first pan-European overview of the inhabited lands that disappeared below the sea as the climate warmed and the ice sheets of the last Ice Age lost most of their volume. It continues the discussions in the recently published book “Submerged Prehistory” (Oxbow 2011), which sprang from a well attended session at the EAA 2009 meeting. This session will bring together updates on well known sites and regions along with reports on new sites, and work on areas not so well represented at the 2009 session. A central objective of the session is to contribute to the preparation of an atlas project on submerged Stone Age sites and landscapes of Europe and nearby areas of the Mediterranean. The project is in preparation as part of the EU-COST-financed SPLASHCOS network, which is focusing on the period of the great sea-level rise during the Late Pleistocene and Early Holocene. This pan-European network is seeking to coordinate reports on finds of archaeological sites, terrestrial fauna and preserved land surfaces older than ca. 5500 cal BP from sea-bed areas all over Europe and the Mediterranean.
Topic and questions within the scope of the session:
– New finds of submerged Stone Age sites and landscapes on the continental shelf.
– Reconstructing the pace of sea-level rise and submergence of landscapes during the Pleistocene and Early Holocene in Europe.
– Why is the distribution of present finds from the continental shelf so uneven – research history and/or preservation?
– Are there examples of the preservation of Pleistocene or Early Holocene wood, bone, etc. in sea-floor areas outside Israel, the North Sea and the western Baltic?
– Field methods for the location and excavation of submerged sites and landscapes.
– Management of submerged prehistoric cultural heritage.
– Co-operation between industry and archaeology in relation to submerged Stone Age sites and landscapes.
All session abstracts of the four day meeting can be found in the EAA Helsinki 2012 session list:http://www.eaa2012.fi/programme/session_list
All abstracts must be submitted by 31 March, 2012 (see the EAA call for papershttp://www.eaa2012.fi/File/1366/call-for-papers.pdf ) via the EAA 2012 abstract service pagehttps://www.abstrakti.fi/eaa2012/abs.do.
We hope to see you in Helsinki!
Anders Fischer, Björn Nilsson and Fraser Sturt